The Millers Series: Paolo Rossi from Sting’s Il Palagio
We love Olive Oil.
And really, we should. We know the land where it comes from. We have felt the breeze through the hills. We have sat in the shade of its trees. We have smelled the scent of the blossoms and then were there to pick the fruit when it was just right. And when the oil came out of the press, we were there to taste it. But beyond the terroir, what really makes the difference, or rather who – is the miller. The man or woman, who with love, passion, science and gut creates for us – liquid gold. So, actually it’s them we love.
This is the first of a series of mini-interviews with our partners, the artisan farmers who bring us some of the most amazing EVOO available on the planet. We think that once you know them like we do, you too will feel the love.
Our first chat is with Paolo, the miller that answers to none other than Sting and Trudie Styler. Listen to his message in a bottle:
1. Name, first and last: Paolo Rossi
2. Where were you born? Figline Valdarno on 21/06/1963
3. How has the place where you were born influenced who and how you are? I would say decisively, considering I was born right on the Il Palagio farm not 5 meters from where I have my office today.
4. What did you study? Classical studies in high school then in the Faculty of Agriculture.
5. Were your studies connected at all to your future work? Yes, completely.
6. How old were you when you knew that making EVOO was your mission? Let’s say it’s been my job forever.
7. What is your favourite dish prepared with your EVOO? It is a sort of bruschetta soaked in extra virgin, topped with Tuscan cabbage (kale), and a pinch of salt and pepper
8. What makes your EVOO different from others produced in your region, in Italy and in the world? Attention to the smallest details and love
9. If you controlled the Olive Oil world, what measures would you put in place to improve it? I would eliminate the possibility of mixing different oils together
10. Who or what inspires you and your work? The memory of my father, who had this role before me.
11. When you are not working in the olive mill, what are you doing? Horseback riding, reading, swimming or hunting.
12. If you weren’t an olive miller, what would you be? A writer.
13. What are you addicted to? Sport and poetry.
14. The book on your bedside table: “I Taccuini” by F.T. Marinetti
15. Your favourite song in your iPod: “La Bellezza” by Roberto Vecchioni
16. Your favourite cult classic film: Amici Miei
17. Your most memorable vacation: in New Zealand
18. Where have you never been, but would love to go? East Africa
19. Accomplishment that you are most proud of: my daughter, Artemisia